In response to joint statement made by Khmers Kampuchea-Krom Federation (KKF) and the Montagnard Foundation, Permanent Mission of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam representative has given a speech to the Permanent Forum on Monday 28th April 2008 during the special item on Human rights: dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights and fundamental freedoms of indigenous people and other special rapporteurs.
“The work of the PFII should be based on accurate information. Unfortunately, it has not been provided,” stated the Vietnam government representative.
“We strongly object to the participation of the KKF who are based outside Vietnam and try to claim representation. The information provided cannot be seen as objective and relevant.”
“The participation [of KKF and the Montagnard Foundation] only creates distraction that could have been offered to indigenous peoples around the world, PFII members,” says Vietnam government representative.
For over 4 years, Vietnam government has reaffirmed that KKF and the Montagnard Foundation should not be given the right to speak about Vietnam, claiming that the above indigenous organisation bring false information to the Permanent Forum.
This year, Vietnam states that such organisations are only creating a distraction to the Permanent Members.
If KKF does not bring the issue of Khmer Krom to the Permanent Forum, will Vietnam really do so?
Full speech by Vietnam representative is currently unavailable. It does not openly distribute its statement like most democratic governments however; KKN will endeavour to obtain the full speech in the next few days.
The following documents are related to KKF activities at the United Nations.
2010: Ninth Session on Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- Item 7: Future work by Chantria Tram
- Speech by Indigenous Youths
- Vietnam Sings Old Tune, Accuses KKF of Separatist Activities Again...
2009: Eighth Session on Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- UNPFII 2009: Item 3(c)
- UNPFII 2009: Item 3(c) Vietnam Intervention part 1
- UNPFII 2009: Item 3(c) Vietnam Intervention part 2
- UNPFII 2009: Item 7 Future work
2008: Seventh Session on Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- Item 3: Climate Change, bio-cultural diversity and livelihoods: the stewardship role of indigenous peoples and new challenges
- Item 4: Economic and Social Development
- Item 4 (f) Human rights
- “KKF a distraction to Permanent Forum” Says Vietnam
- KKF Intervention on Vietnam Government Speech
- Item 9: Future Work
2007: Sixth Session on Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- Terriorities, Lands and Natural Resources by Romy Thach
- Item 4(a): Economic and social development by Sothy Kien
- Response statement by Vietnam Government, Mr. Nguyen Tat Thanh, Deputy Permanent Representative,
- UNPFII: Human Rights
- Intervention Statement by Vietnam Delegation to UNPFII
- Vietnam Cancels Khmer Krom Side Event at UNPFII
- Item 7: Urbanization and Migration of indigenous peoples
- Item 4g: Second International Decade of the World’s Indigenous Peoples - English
- UNPFII: Future Works
2006: Fifth Session on Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- UNPFII Fifth Session: Item 3
- UNPFII Fifth Session Item 3: Intervention by Permanent Members
- UNPFII Fifth Session Item 4: Intervention by KKF
- UNPFII Fifth Session Item 4: Speech by Khmer Krom Buddhist Association
- UNPFII Fifth Session Item 5: Future Works
- KKF recommendations to the UNPFII and Commission on Human Rights- 2006 (PDF)
2005: Fourth Session on Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- Collective Statement by Hmong and KKF Delegations
- Vietnam Statement
- KKF Response Statement
- Poverty and hunger by Hoang
- Education by Charlie Thach
- Buddhist Education by Venerable Kan Sophal
- Human rights
- Women rights by Sothy Kien
2004: Third Session on Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- KKF recommendations to the UNPFII and Commission on Human Rights- 2004 (PDF)
- Indigenous Women - by Polly Luu
- Education - by Sophan Son
- Culture - by Rong Be
- Human Rights - by Sereivuth Prak
- Economic and Social Development - by Moni Mau
- Environment Issues - by Tran Giap
- Health - by Kha Kiep
- Future Work of the Forum - by Thach Dhammo
The following documents are related to KKF activities at the UN's Human Rights Council's EMRIP
2013 - The Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples